Thursday, February 7, 2008

Slow Down the Clock


Emailing: rock_orchard
Originally uploaded by chronicbooker3

Time to do all the things I love seems to be limited this past week. I did manage to finish two books since I last posted, one of them being The Rock Orchard by Paula Wall. Do you ever pick up a book more for the cover then the blurb on the jacket cover?? I do, and this was one of them.
"Some women can touch a man and heal like Jesus. The man who sees sunrise from a Belle women's bed will swear he's been born again."

"So begins Paula Wall's funny, poignant, and sexy novel, 'The Rock Orchard'. Musette Belle could lay her hand on a baby's heart and see his life as if he'd already lived it. Even in death, she continues to shock the good citizens of Leaper's Fork, tennessee, and her descendents are doing their best to carry on her legacy. Angela Belle, a haunting and beautiful siren, lures every man she meets into greatness, while her illegitimate and very independent daughter, Dixie, serves tea and vanilla wafers to the statue of the Confederate soldier she believes is her father. But when Charlotte Belle, a woman who would rather spend the night with Jack Daniel's than any man she knows, seduces a stranger in the cemetery, it not only transforms the two people involved but the entire town."


This had sat in my TBR pile for far to long so I decided to add it to my goal list of books to read this year. I'm glad I did because this was mainly a story about strong women, and more to the point the 'Belle' Women. This had a tinge of southern to it and a whole lot of chuckle out loud phrases but, it also had a story that made me think. I have put Paula Wall's next book in my wishlist and look forward to reading it.

I also finish Blood on the Tongue by Stephen booth. I wasn't as interested in this story as the first two that I read in this series. It was an average read but seemed slow paced to me. Booth continues to develop his characters Ben Cooper and Diane Fry and I do enjoy their little quirks but wish that this novel had of been set at a faster pace. Just my opinion and it certainly wont stop me from trying number 4 in the series.


No comments: