Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Yarn Yarn and More Yarn


yarn sale 002
Originally uploaded by chronicbooker3
Yesterday I spent the day with my knitting/reading friend Janelle. I got up early on my day off and drove one quick hour to pick Janelle up at her place of work. From there we made a quick stop at the bank and then tore up the road to Cloth and Clay. No need to put a link because they are going out of business. Hence our hurry to get there. Everything including their books were 50% off, even the yarn that was already discounted. It was hard (but I did manage) to control myself. I felt like I had died and gone to Fibre Heaven.

I ended up buying the book Knit 2 Together by Tracey Ullman and Mel Clark. It was 50% off and seeing that it was regularly priced at $35.00 I had been putting of getting it. This book has some great and fun patterns and I think Im going to make my girlie Hailey the "Witches Britches".

As for yarn I ended up with:

450M Lang Yarns - JA WOLL sock yarn - Janelle says it makes great socks.

690M Butterfly Mercerized Cotton in an awesome aqua colour - It is EL. D. Mouzakis (never heard of this company) made in Greece. Im think summer tank top for someone.

378M MANOS del URUGUAY kettle dyed 100% Wool in very manly colours of black, dark brown, tan, and cranberry that all blend into each other - probably a scarf and maybe hat for hubby.

375M (aran weight) Kid Aran (50% Mohair 50% Wool) hand painted by Fleece Artist in a gorgeous green. This is to make the felted TOTO bag for me - thats right my first project for me other then scarves.

All in all I only spent $98.00, and I can't tell you what Janelle spent - I was sworn to secrecy.

From there we drove the 20 minutes to Shall We Knit (one of our favorites) in New Hamburg. It was lunch by this time so next door to the yarn store is a cute little rustic like cafe/diner, full of home made yummies. I had the Strawberry/brie quiche with wild greens sprinkled with feta and nuts. Janelle had her favorite tuna sandwich on homemade bread and a bowl of tomato dill soup. Oh ya the restaurant is called MeMe's. Try it if you are ever in New Hamburg.

We then spent the afternoon chatting with Karen (the owner and resident knitter of Shall We Knit) and anyone that wandered in. Janelle is teaching a lesson on Mitered Square Scarf at the end of the month and I was her test pupil. Good for her and good for me - I learned the stitch so I can start my Stained Glass Throw Blanket. This is a great store, full of beautiful yarns, books and company. It is in what used to be an old bank . It is very open and welcoming and the front of the store has a big table and chairs where you are encouraged to sit and knit and chat. I purchased two sets of double pointed needles and a bunch of Koigu Mill Ends to start my stained glass project.

When I finally got home last night I was smiling from ear to ear, but exhausted. A perfect day in my opinion.

No comments: