Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The First of the New Year

It has been many months since I sat to blog about reading, knitting, and life. I have decided that I am going to be more diligent this year. So here is my first of many.

Book # 1 "Coventry" by Helen Humphreys

This was a very quick read (uncorrected proof that I borrowed from my friend Michele). I have read a fair bit of this Canadian author. Not only is she Canadian but she also lives in "my neck of the woods"Ontario!!

In the past I have enjoyed such titles as "The Lost Garden"(my favorite), "Afterimage", and "Wild Dogs". This book was not a disappointment, in fact after "The Lost Garden" this is now my favorite. Both of these books were centered in England during the World Wars of the past Century. A time and place that both intrigue me.

Coventry is not only the story of November 14, 1940 - the infamous German bombing raid that reduced Coventry to almost nothing, but also the story of two women Harriet and Maeve and a young man named Jeremy.

The book starts with a little history about the lives of Harriet and Maeve and their chance meeting during the early days of World War I. But, it is the night in November of 1940 that cements their lives together for ever more.

I would give this book a solid 3.5 out of 5.

No comments: